Thanks to its geographical location and to its climate, you can surf in Tenerife all year long, with the incentive that there are no dangers.
Privileged places in the North of Tenerife to enjoy surf
Thanks to its geographical location and to the island’s climate, you can surf in Tenerife throughout the year, with the incentive that there are no dangers. Besides that, it has excellent tides and sea conditions, as one of the best marine ecosystems and volcanic reefs in the world to practice surf, body board (with a long tradition in the island), longboard (with boards of 280 centimeters), and SUP (Stand Up Paddle, huge boards that you use to surf with an oar).
The beaches of the island have left, right, peak, and tube waves, accesible during the winter as well as in the summer, that attract surf lovers from around Europe. The best time to practice surf is from November to February, although during the summer the north of the island works better and the South during the winter.
What they say is true. In Tenerife you have a spot every ten minutes. If you don’t like a wave don’t worry, take the next one. You can chose a sand, stone, or volcanic reef bottom… there are good vibes in the water. Furthermore, you can surf all year long in Tenerife! Forget about the winter suit, because the water is always temperate here.
Surfing in Tenerife – North
- Igueste de San Andrés (Santa Cruz de Tenerife). One of the best places in the North. Waves with ideal features for body board. Natural surroundings. Waves from on to three meters. Medium tides. Rock bottom. south wind. Perfect left, quick and tube waves. Strong waves from the northwest. Ideal throughout the year.
In the northeast side of Tenerife, between the green Anaga Mountains and the blue ocean, you find the towns of Bajamar and Punta Hidalgo.
Even though both towns are important touristic centers inside the municipality of La Laguna, they have managed to maintain its quietness like a spa and the charm from the small coastal towns, where agriculture and fishing are still significant elements of their culture and economy.
The landscape in this area is accompanied by a stable spring weather that, with an average annual temperature of 21 degrees, invites you to enjoy outdoor and sea activities. There are multiple possibilities offered by these locations: rock or sand beaches, natural pools that become ideal places to enjoy a swim and a sunbath, walks on the ocean shore, or to practice of sports like fishing, surf, or scuba diving. Without forgetting the pathways that start from any of them and go inside the rural park of Anaga.
- El Callao (Punta del Hidalgo). Natural environment in the quiet town of Punta del Hidalgo. The boy from Cola Cao, Yael Peña, is from Punta del Hidalgo, and he trains here. Waves of two to four meters. Medium tides. Rock bottom. South wind. Big variable and tube waves. Strong waves from the North. The best time is autumn-winter. Nevertheless, you have to take into account that in Punta del Hidalgo as well as in Bajamar the “locals” (native surfers) are reticent to foreigners coming and stealing “their” waves.
- El Charco (Bajamar). Waves of two meters. Little polluted water. All kinds of tides. Rock bottoms. Winds from the south and southwest. Right, short, and blunt waves. Waves from the north, northwest and northeast. Excellent throughout the year to surf in Tenerife. There are also a lot of local surfers with a high level of potential for conflict.
- El Socorro (Los Realejos). It is a beautiful and large black sand beach of volcanic origin. It is perfect for body board. Natural surroundings. Waves from one to two meters. All kind of tides. Sand bottom. South wind. Quick and tube waves. Medium waves from the west and the northwest. Perfect throughout the year. Beach with showers, parking, restaurant, life savers and bathrooms. Usual scenario of competitions. Blue flag.
- La Caleta (Garachico). High difficulty. Ideal for body board. Natural surroundings. Waves from two to five meters. Medium tides. Rock bottoms. South wind. Big and tube section waves, very strong in both directions with the sea entering with south force. Strong waves from the north. Perfect from autumn to spring. Parking.